Home security is something that should not be toyed with! People spend days to find a safe neighbourhood for their family to live in. So, it is obvious that you will also think about your home’s safety. The neighbourhood may be quite safe, but misfortune can strike at any time if your property is ill maintained. Everyone installs a security system, but often forget about the garage door.
Garage door is a major entrance point to your house. So, it is obvious that you will want to maintain it. Professional companies like Attenborough Doors have a wide range of garage doors. These companies take care of the installation and maintenance. But, giving them a call for the smallest reasons may not fit everyone’s budget! So, the experts are providing a range of tips to help you maintain your garage door.
- Professional Tips to Maintain your Garage Door
Maintaining your garage door is necessary for home security and beauty. On top of that, regular maintenance can keep your doors in top shape for a longer time! Who does not want to maintain their doors for a longer time and reduce the chances of repairs?! Here are the tips to maintain your garage door:
- Sharp Eyes & Ears: You need to listen to the door every time you open or close it! Ask yourself the following questions:
o Is there a jerk in the opening or closing of the garage door?
o Can you hear a grinding sound during the closing or opening of the door?
o Does it seem that the pulleys and springs are acting out of symmetry?
o Is there any visible damage to the cables in the garage?
If any one of these occurs, you will need to call a professional! There is no DIY solution for such matters.
- Tighten Away: Have you counted how many times a garage door opens and closes in a single day? We think a minimum of 3 to 4 times! Now, calculate how many times the door is opening and closing for an entire year. You will be surprised at the number that rises up after the calculations! So, it is natural that the screws and bolts may come loose. Grab a socket wrench and tighten them once in a while to maintain swift closing and opening of the garage door.
- Balance is Essential: You need to make sure that your garage door is balanced. Pull the red cord and shut off the garage door opener. Now pull up the garage door halfway up. If it stays there, then the springs are balanced. If the door does not stay that way, you need a professional to come out and fix the balance. If this is ignored, then you might have a door that no longer works properly in the near future.
- Lubricating the Parts: As we mentioned, a garage door is used numerous times. Apart from tightening the bolts and screws, you will also have to lubricate the parts. It takes hardly 10 minutes. The screw and chain of the garage door needs to be lubricated with white lithium grease. To grease the overhead springs, you should use a spray.
- Cleared Garage Door Tracks: Sometimes, debris can collect in the track of the garage doors. Ensure that the tracks are kept clean. So, clean them from time to time. But, if you see that it needs some kind of repair, then it is best to consult with professionals and leave it to the experts.
These are some basic tips! Just keep an eye out for these and follow the DIY maintenance tips. You will have a smooth working garage door, which stays in good shape for a longer time. Some repairs if completed ASAP, can reduce the chances of heavier (costly) repairs in the near future!