Birds can cause a lot of problems for people. Coming in contact or just being around their droppings, feather, urine, and secretions can have a negative impact on your health and hygiene. So if you notice them nesting or hovering around your property or business area, consider getting rid of them immediately by calling your local Sydney bird control experts.
How exactly can birds affect you? Here are 5 ways birds can negatively impact your hygiene, health, and wellbeing.
1. Bird droppings create an unhygienic and unsanitary environment
Birds tend to leave quite a mess anywhere they go. Once they start occupying a specific area, you can expect it to be covered with droppings soon enough. When this happens, it creates a very unhygienic and unsanitary environment for everyone on the property. Additionally, bird droppings are dangerous too. When wet, they become slippery, which can result in accidents.
2. Birds affect your indoor air quality
Birds can affect your indoor air quality through their droppings and the organic matter they can carry, including bacteria and fungi. Not only will these bring heavy odor to your home or building, but they can also irritate your respiratory system.
3. Birds can expose you to parasites
Birds are known to carry over 50 kinds of ectoparasites. These are a type of parasite that lives on a host’s skin or exterior, which can easily transfer to people. Some of the most common ones are:
- Chicken Mites: Commonly found on house sparrows, starlings, and pigeons, these parasites can cause acariasis and fowl mite dermatitis. They are also known to carry encephalitis and will often bite people.
- Bed Bugs: These ectoparasites are commonly carried by house sparrows, pigeons, and starlings. They can consume up to 5 times their weight in blood taken from their hosts, which can include people and some domestic animals. In worst-case scenarios, a bed bugs’ victim can become anemic.
- Fleas: Also called bird fleas, these parasites spend very little time on their bird hosts. They are often found infesting nests and can easily transfer onto humans or pets.
- Ticks: Birds can also carry ticks, which can transfer onto surfaces when they land. Such parasites will then bite or embed themselves onto humans and cause several problems and health concerns.
4. Birds attract other pests
Attracting other pests is another negative impact of having birds around your home or business area. Through their nests and droppings, they can create the perfect environment where pests can thrive. This includes rodents, insects, and snakes, which can all cause diseases and hygienic problems for every occupant on the property.
5. Birds can cause diseases
Birds are known to cause many diseases, particularly through their wastes. In fact, there are over 60 diseases that birds and their droppings can carry and transmit to humans. Here are just some of the most common ones:
- Avian Influenza: Also called the “Bird Flu” or H5N1 virus, Avian Influenza is transmitted to people through an infected bird’s fecal matter. This is a serious disease that can have fatal consequences for people. It can cause more severe symptoms than your typical flu virus, including cough, high fever, muscle aches, and respiratory difficulties.
- Cryptococcosis: This is a disease caused by a yeast commonly present in the intestinal tract of starlings and pigeons. It can start as a pulmonary disease and later advance in affecting a person’s central nervous system.
- coli: E.coli, specifically 0157:H7, can originate from birds pecking on cow manure. While infected birds are unaffected, they can spread the bacteria through their droppings, which can contaminate water and food supplies.
- Histoplasmosis: Also known as the “Ohio River Valley Fever”, this is a transmissible disease caused by inhaling the fungus, which grows in dried bird droppings. This is an extremely serious disease that affects one’s respiratory system. It can be fatal, especially for children and those with compromised immune systems.
Already notice birds on your property? Call your bird control Sydney professionals immediately before the problem gets out of hand. If you are looking for one, Service Now Trades can help you. They offer fast, effective, and tailored solutions to get rid of existing birds and prevent them from coming back.